Sunday, December 23, 2007

Thoughts on Christmas

After a couple near misses involving my hips and crazy people with carts at superstore, almost being bludgeoned at Costco and a eerily quiet visit to Shoppers, I am happy to report, that, I, Timothy Carruthers have completed my shopping. Good times.

What did I buy? Check back later for the next edition of the blog and I'll tell you then.

However today, I paused for a moment to eat a Poutine at the cafeteria at Costco (BTW, this is worthy of a blog entry of itself... if you want to eat a meal with so much fat that you can feel your heart slow, go for the poutine at Costco. But goodness, it is worth it!) and watched people scurry about with this and that, people were arguing and rushing. Employees being paid far too little to endure far too much from the idiotic masses we call the general public.

I sat behind the store manager and noticed that he was doing the same thing as well, sipping a coffee seemingly deep in thought. As my heart slowed from the cholesterol, my mind sluggishly awoke and I really thought about the insanity of this season.

As believers, we follow the example of Christ and his teachings. Yet as North Americans, we gather wealth and goodies for our own well being and enjoyment. I really am starting to wonder if there is a gap here that needs to be addressed. Particularly this time of year. Don't get me wrong - I love gifts and I love giving them to my friends and family. And I will this year; I have no plans to take a Martyr's stance against the holidays...

I spent some time looking through the World Vision gift catalogue today; it is a fantastic idea. Instead of giving gifts to loved ones, make a donation that will be used to buy a chicken or school supplies or medicine for a developing nation, and do it in the name of someone else. Check it out www.worldvision.ca.

Instead of reciting the traditional passages, this Christmas I am really reflecting on the words of Luke 6: "...and from the person who takes your cloak, do not withhold even your tunic. Give to everyone who asks of you, and from the one who takes what is yours do not demand it back."

Just some thoughts. This Christmas, instead of giving to those who already have, try to give to someone who needs. And, overall, have a Merry Christmas.

Tim

No comments: